Monday, October 12, 2015

OUR CULTURE, OUR SOCIETY

A wise man once said every society is judged by how it treats it's least fortunate amongst us.

In a class in college, I have an autistic young man as a class mate.  I have had some experiences with him that range the spectrum of emotions.  Autistic children, people, do not like to be touched.  I have made the error of hugging or patting on the back and been strongly rebuffed.
  In a recent class, a fellow classmate tried to hug him before I could say he does not want a hug.  He then gave her a strong push into me and my palette later as she and I were talking and her back was to him.   This is a rather typical inappropriate action that an autistic person might take.  He can also be fixated  on things.  The first painting session he was fixated on my painting supports.  I use a variety and he did not understand why I used what I was painting on and asked dozens and dozens of questions.  Some of his questions were very smart and reasonable.
  The point of this blog is he is in college and gaining in skill.  Professors and students are willing to take his inappropriate social skills and strange habits into consideration and give him a chance.

 I painted the below painting using real spaghetti for the spaghetti in the painting.  He walked in and said with a matter of fact voice:  "Don't think I have ever seen a painting with a shelf life before."  It took me a minute to understand what he was saying.

No comments: