Friday, October 30, 2015

Sometimes Paintings Resurface

This painting came back with a couple of others over the internet from J. Henderson.  She bought some ten paintings in the late 60's from the Starving Artist Shows that I was doing every week end.  She gave some away as gifts and kept some.  What an appreciated collector she was.
  Let me tell you about those few years of Starving Artist Shows.  I would load car up and head out every Friday or Saturday morning for a day, sometimes week end of selling.  Because I was selling so incredibly many paintings, I set a goal of 20 new paintings a week.  Because they were all still wet, they had to be in frames.  So, I was painting 5 a day for four days and then framing them on last day and loading my car or horse trailer.  Never will I make that kind of money again (bought the 20 acres in Colleyville with sales dollars, bought horse trailer,  put the road in to the 20 acres, and bought a four stall barn that was later enlarged.)  Nor, will I ever want to work that physically hard again.
  Evelyn Schmedt was my running buddy.  Can't tell you the giddy times we had sitting in the middle of a floor and pulling the money, checks from various areas of
our clothes, and counting.  Sometimes we were so tired on the way home that we would stop our cars, get out and run around the car, breathe deeply, chew ice, drink coffee to keep our eyes open.
  The years were 1969-1973.  Then I slightly retired from painting when we moved to Colleyville and the next stage of life opened up:  children in upper grades, horses, and the Chamber of Commerce.
  Thanks to J. Henderson for sharing the past.

2 comments:

Tim said...

I love Schmedt's work! One of my favorite pieces (and one of the earliest I remember seeing) is one of hers. It has hung on my grandparents wall all my life.

Tim said...

I love Schmedt's work! One of my favorite pieces (and one of the earliest I remember seeing) is one of hers. It has hung on my grandparents wall all my life.